Monday, September 27, 2021

Q&A: Cheryl Carpinello, Author of ANCIENT TALES AND LEGENDS Series #Q&A #Interview


Cheryl Carpinello
 taught high school English for 25 years. During that time, she worked with numerous students who didn’t like to read for a variety of reasons. However, she discovered that even the most reluctant readers became engaged in the classroom and in reading when she introduced units on King Arthur and the works of ancient world writers. Upon retiring, she set out to write fast-paced, action-filled stories in these setting to encourage young readers to read more. When not writing, you can find her reading, spending time with family, and traveling.

“In 2008, my husband and I spent three weeks traveling around Egypt via train and visiting all those magnificent archeological sites. Since we returned home, Egypt has never been far from my thoughts. I truly believe that I left part of my soul in that ancient land. To satisfy my longing to return, I wrote Sons of the Sphinx and Tutankhamen Speaks.” Visit her on Twitter and Facebook.

Thanks for this interview, Cheryl.  Congratulations on your new book! Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

Sons of the Sphinx, being my fourth book, wasn’t difficult to publish, although it did give me a few fits with the writing. Until I wrote the companion book, Tutankhamen Speaks, I just couldn’t find my beginning. Once that book was finished, Sons almost wrote itself.

If you were to pen your own autobiography, what might the title be?

For my writing: A Lover of Tales and Legends. For me: Devoted to Family.

When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

I love spending time with my family, reading, and traveling.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

Sons of the Sphinx takes readers on a unique adventure back to ancient Egypt with the ghost of the Pharaoh Tut and Rosa, a 15-year old girl with a gift/curse that keeps her outside of her peers circle. Rosa thinks nothing is worse than when the other students see her talking to no one until she finds herself in 1330 BC Egypt where danger and death are around every corner.

Can you give us the very first page of your book so that we can get a glimpse inside?  

Chapter 1

I don’t see dead people. I hear them. I talk to them. Boy, you should try that. Talk about people looking at you like you’ve got two heads. That will do it. I used to look in the mirror after talking to them to see what others saw. All I saw was me, Rosa, an ordinary fifteen-year-old girl. Well, not so ordinary. I do have my father’s emerald eyes, but no glowing auras, no ghosts on my shoulders, only my sun-streaked blond hair usually in need of a trim.

It would be one thing if I talked to famous dead people. You know, like that Elvis Presley guy my mother still drools over? I mean, really? The guy would be, like, ancient today! Anyway, if I talked to him, I could give my mom a personal message like, “Sorry we never got to hook up.” That would be worth a few extra bucks for allowance, don’t you think?

If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

Most likely the Halloween section seeing as how Rosa travels with a ghost.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

Sons of the Sphinx has now become the prequel to my new series Feathers of the Phoenix. Rosa, joined by her cousin Jerome, is tasked with finding the 5 feathers of the Phoenix bird cast away when Poseidon sank the island of Atlantis. The Atlantean Horse, book 1, is finished and should be out early in 2022. I’ve just completed two weeks of research in Iceland, the setting for book 2, The Norse Star.

When you were young, did you ever see writing as a career or full-time profession?

No. I enjoyed writing, but teaching was my passion. Through 24 years in the classroom, I’m able to create realistic characters for my readers that embody the fears, joys, and concerns including the drama that accompanies those ages.

Did any of your books get rejected by publishers?

You know. I talked with a few publishers, but was told that it would be at least two years before my first book, Guinevere: On the Eve of Legend, would be published. Too long for me, so I went the Indie route and have never looked back.

What is your view on co-authoring books; have you done any?

The only book I assisted in publishing was my 9-year-old grandson’s book, Cameron’s Book of Insects. My other grandson will be nine next year and is already planning what his book will be about.

What’s next for you?

Finishing up my Feathers of the Phoenix series. There are five books. Also, I’m getting ready to publish Book 3 of my Grandma/Grandpa’s Tales: Vampires in the Backyard and A Fish Tale.

 

 





Title
: Tutankhamen Speaks
Author: Cheryl Carpinello
Publisher: Beyond Today Educator
Pages: 81
Genre: Teen / YA / Ancient Egypt Historical Fiction

From over 3000 years ago comes the voice of the Boy King.

Scrolls found buried in the basement of the Egyptian Museum. Transcribed in an ancient hand. Record the words of King Tut for all to read.

Tutankhamen answers all of the lingering questions, including the big one.

Discover the real story behind this famous pharaoh. Transport yourself back to an Ancient Egypt filled with mystery, magic, and danger!

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon eBook: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E18KH46

Amazon Print: https://www.amazon.com/dp/149615536X

B&N:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tutankhamen-speaks-cheryl-carpinello/1118847147

Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Tutankhamen-Speaks-Cheryl-Carpinello/9781496155368



Title
: Sons of the Sphinx
Author: Cheryl Carpinello
Publisher: Beyond Today Educator
Pages: 189
Genre: Teen / YA / Ancient Egypt Historical Fiction

A grandmother’s gift usually bring happiness. Rosa’s gift: a very different story. Hearing the dead alienated her from classmates. Not good for a 15-year-old.

Many times very insistent, the dead cared little for her surroundings. They even bothered her in class. Dates? Forget that.

Then one day, he shows up in her room. An old dead guy. A really old famous dead guy. In living human form!

Thrilling story of battling good and evil in an ancient world.

 

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MVGC96Y

Amazon Print: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1912513951

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/sons-of-the-sphinx-1

Tolino: https://www.thalia.de/shop/home/artikeldetails/ID151524898.html

Vivlio: https://shop.vivlio.com/product/9781912513949_9781912513949_10020

Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Sons-Sphinx-Cheryl-Carpinello/9781912513956

iBooks: https://books.apple.com/us/book/id1565754127

Nook: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sons-of-the-sphinx-cheryl-carpinello/1120481788?ean=2940161911747

Scribd: https://www.scribd.com/book/505876516/Sons-of-the-Sphinx-Ancient-Tales-Legends-1

No comments:

Post a Comment