Monday, November 21, 2022

Q&A: S.G. Basu, Author of The Lightbound Saga #Q&A #Interview


S.G. Basu is an aspiring potentate of a galaxy or two. She plots and plans with wondrous machines, cybernetic robots, time travelers and telekinetic adventurers, some of whom escape into the pages of her books. Although she’s an engineer by training, writing has been her passion since childhood. Her other loves include extra-hot lattes, fast cars and binge watching sci-fi movies.

Find out more about the futuristic worlds she creates at sgbasu.com. She can also be reached at sg@sgbasu.com.

Books by S.G. Basu:

The Lightbound Saga series (YA Dystopian Science Fiction)

Maia and the Xifarian Conspiracy

Maia and the Secrets of Zagran

Maia and Regency Protocol

The Lightbound Saga 3 Book Bundle

The Firefly League-A Lightbound Saga novella

Elementals-The Serial Thriller (Paranormal Science Fiction)

Population Morpheus (Near Apocalyptic Science Fiction)

Jumpers (Paranormal Thriller)

You can visit the author’s website at www.sgbasu.com or connect with her on Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads.



Thanks for this interview, S.G. Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

Thank you for hosting me.

It has been a fun, interesting journey. I had never planned to be a writer, and while I have always loved to read, being a telecommunications professional did not leave much time to dabble in writing. So when I started writing my first novel, I had to learn the craft. Sure, I had a good story in my head, but who knew writing it all down would be such a tough business? At the time I was working full-time, writing part-time, and raising a toddler so . . . it was fun!

Then came the other parts—learning to get a book to publish. For a bit, I was unsure whether to go traditional or indie. I got myself an agent and she queried a few publishing houses. But soon, the allure of indie publishing won me over. I like having control over everything I do and the more I studied the model of self-publishing, the more I liked it. However, that meant even more hard work but I have enjoyed it every step of the way. Over the years, I have had books traditionally published also, but the indie way continues to be my favorite.

The pandemic was the toughest roadblock I have had to face. It changed everything—the way I worked, the way my family worked, and my ability to find time to write. For about two years I was frozen, for all practical purposes, unable to find my creative self. However, in 2022, I dug myself out. My micro-press has published three books this year and I am happy to complete The Lightbound Saga

Upward and onward we go!


When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

The times I’m not writing (such time is rare), I like to spend time with my family. I am also a toy and doll collector and I love to photograph my collection when I find free time. And of course, read.


What makes your book stand out from the rest?

The setting of the series is unique in that it is not just one universe but three. The story takes place in three distinct worlds—an alien planet, an underwater city, and a fallen civilization—each with unique characteristics and cultures. 



Can you give us the very first page of your book so that we can get a glimpse inside? 

In the dim light of the distant stars, the ship of the R’armimon looked like a colossal spider hovering in space. For a flagship, it was rather plain, ugly almost. About a hundred wrinkled sacs, dull and worn out, formed the dense clump of a body; knobby, talon-like thrusters jutted out into the endless void. A mesh of beams and bars, stained along the seams, wrapped the egg-shaped core from the stern all the way to the bow where it arched over an observation deck. 

Inside, huddled under a blanket, sat the little boy, Ruche. He stared, open-mouthed, at a show of galactic fireworks dancing across the viewing windows. Blues morphed into vivid crimsons, burgundy and gold swirled and surged into fiery plumes, collapsing into showers of jade in the next moment. 

With every new flare, the boy’s pale eyes sparkled, and his cheeks flushed. Only a time or two, he cast a restless glance at the darkened corner to his right where a lean man stood. Neither joy nor wonder showed on the man’s face as he scanned the faraway lights—his eyes sparkled but only from the unshed tears. The pair continued to watch in silence until a searing flash of red tore through the skies making Ruche gasp. 

The man stirred immediately. “That’s the end of the Ssoiffean stars,” he whispered. “Beautiful, isn’t it?”

“End? No . . . not again!” Ruche’s shriek shattered the quiet. His voice quickly sunk into a disappointed murmur. “I wanted to walk on land.”

After what seemed like forever, the man replied, “I failed . . . again, Ruche. We came close this time. But not close enough to save the Ssoiffean stars and . . . the Ssoiffean people.” 


If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

Christmas, for sure. This is a feel-good series with heartwarming themes of finding family and the power of friendship, which makes Christmas the perfect time to read it. Also, it is a pretty long series, so the longer the free time, the better.


Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

The Lightbound Saga is already a series of six books, beginning with Maia and the Xifarian Conspiracy.

When you were young, did you ever see writing as a career or full-time profession?

Not in my wildest dreams. I have always been a voracious reader and I dabbled in writing a short story or two for school magazines, but being a writer was never a plan. I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a child. Eventually, though, I decided to pursue a degree in engineering and became a telecommunications engineer. Then, life’s many turns brought me to writing and once I started, I was hooked.


What’s next for you?

Completing this series is a big milestone (six books, 3000 pages, 800,000 words) so I hope to relax a bit after this. However, I know that is not going to happen. I run a micro-press (Dreamweaver Press) and I have to get another set of titles ready for publication soon. I also have an idea of another YA adventure series brewing in my head, and I plan to get that started in 2023.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment