Thursday, June 16, 2022

Q&A: Susan Berry, Author of Promise of the Heart #Q&A #Interview

Since Susan Berry was a young girl, she loved to write. Her imagination was filled with stories that she couldn’t write down fast enough. But it wasn’t until her grandmother had given her a Harlequin romance novel to occupy her time on a long, boring car ride, that she fell in love with reading romance. The excitement of the characters first meeting, and the dance of the heart that followed, left Susan frantically turning pages. From that day on, Susan spent her free time with her beloved grandmother, reading the latest novels they’d retrieved from a used book store, or the local second hand shop. That reading eventually turned into the writing of her own romance novels. Novels filled with characters who have not yet found love, but eventually find a way to overcome romantic troubles with humor, wit, and the consumption of lots and lots of chocolate.

Susan’s latest book is the clean romance suspense, Promise of the Heart.

You can visit her website at https://www.SusanBerryauthor.com   or connect with her on TwitterFacebook and Goodreads.

Thanks for this interview, Susan. Congratulations on your new book! Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

Susan: Promise of the Heart is the third book in my Moments of the Heart series. Writing this book was such an enjoyable adventure as I love these characters and it’s thrilling to see how their lives are changing. The journey to this book started in 2015 with the first of the series, Dance of the Heart. And I had planned on ending the series with Promise, but have received so many emails asking me to write more that I may have to reconsider as I too want to find out what happens next.

When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

Susan: Some of my favorite things to do to relax is either listen to music or watch Disney movies. I must have watched Moana dozens of times. It’s such a great story of a loving family helping each other overcome life’s obstacles. And of course Disney is always on the menu when the grandkids sleep over.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

Susan: What a great question. I feel my books are different because I am different. All authors write a part of themselves into their books. In mine, the strong family ties resemble my own extended family. And with over four-hundred extended family members, there's always some romantic intrigue going on.

Can you give us the very first page of your book so that we can get a glimpse inside? 

 

Promise of the Heart

“Jilly, hurry up. We’ve got to leave!” The agitation in Maggie’s command was unmistakable as she stood at the bottom of the steps.

     “I’ll be down in a minute,” the cheerful, female voice called out.

     “Sure you will,” Maggie muttered as she went into the living room, sat on the couch, and picked up one of the magazines scattered on the coffee table. Her face frowned as she thumbed through its colorful pages. Usually, she was more even-tempered with her older sister and her lack of time management. But not today. Today was too important.

     Hearing a noise behind her, Maggie twisted her head in the hope she’d see Jilly. But instead of her sister's bobbed, blonde hair, the orange and white striped tail of a large cat came into view.

     “Hello, George, old boy,” she greeted the cat and placed him on her lap. George had been her constant companion since she was eighteen years old. And in the nine years since, he’d been her most trusted confidant.

     “How about you help me out and go upstairs to hurry your Aunt Jilly along?” Maggie suggested as his cold, wet nose brushed her cheek.

If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

Susan: Promise of the Heart doesn’t take place during any particular holiday, but in the summertime in a beautiful vineyard in California. And while there is no holiday celebration, there is a masked anniversary costume party with an uninvited guest who isn’t there to have fun.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

Susan: I love this question because every time I write one of my books, I see the scenes in each chapter clearly in my mind as if they’re already a series. And from the first book, Dance of the Heart, when Maggie returns to her ancestral home, to Promise of the Heart, where she finds out how strong she really is, reading the series feels like home.

When you were young, did you ever see writing as a career or full-time profession?

Susan: I always enjoyed writing when I was young, but I never thought it would be my career. I spent the first half of my adult life in the real estate business, but always made sure to set aside some time each week to spend a few hours writing. To me, writing is such joy, and there’s nothing more special than when I receive emails from a reader who fell in love with one of my characters.

What’s next for you?

Susan: What’s next for me is the book Beneath the Evergreens that is scheduled to be released in July. A heartfelt romance about a girl who is orphaned during World War II, but grows up to take a job as a lumberjill in the Pacific Northwest where she meets an irritatingly irresistible logging company owner. It is my first historical romance and I can’t wait to share it. To find out more, go to my website at, https://www.susanberryauthor.com and sign up for my newsletter. I want to thank you so much for having me and I hope you all have an enjoyable summer!




After a distasteful first meeting, and a rocky start to their romance, Maggie Kinsley has been happily married to Desmond for the last eleven months. And although she was often alone when he traveled for business, she rather enjoyed how he passionately greeted her when returning home.

So when he received a letter naming him as executor of a property that belonged to a deceased family friend and had to leave for a few weeks, Maggie should have been content as she kissed him goodbye. But there was something about the whole thing that made her uneasy. Why was Desmond so evasive with her when she asked him about the previous owner. And why had he insisted she not tell anyone of his plans to stay on the property. Maggie soon found the answers to her questions were more than just a woman’s intuition, but rather something that not even her wildest, darkest fears could have foreseen.

“I so enjoyed the long awaited final book to the trilogy the author so lovingly created. Maggie’s story has a wonderful ending and she’ll be in my heart and mind for a long time.” – Amazon

Book Information

Release Date: February 21, 2022

Publisher:  Independent

Soft Cover: ISBN: 979-8420398647; 203 pages; $6.99; E-Book, $1.99

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3wk29M8

No comments:

Post a Comment