Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Q&A: Steve Brock, Author of Half Moon Lake #Q&A #Interview


I’ve been an author in search of a novel for just about forty years now. Writing was the first thing I ever wanted to do seriously. Over the years I’ve done quite a variety of things. My first real job, the kind where you have a schedule and get paid hourly, was as a cook at the local Sonic Drive-In. I’ve been a machinist, a forklift driver, a production worker, a computer programmer, an IT guy, an installation manager, a software trainer, and an education department manager. Those are just the employment highlights. Through it all, I was a husband and father, and I attended college at night to get my bachelor’s degree in technology management.

Before all that started, I wanted to be a writer. It just didn’t work out that way. Maybe that’s ok, I’ve had a good life and I have a wonderful family that I am proud to have. I don’t regret any of what I’ve done to support my family over the years. The desire to write has persisted, however, and I took a look at my odometer one day and it read 61 years old. None of us know how high our personal odometer will go, but I knew if I was ever going to be a writer, now was the time.

I’m bringing my lifetime of experience to my novel writing. Many of my characters are loosely based upon people I’ve known in real life. Some of my plot elements are also influenced by real-life experiences as well. As of this writing, my first novel, Half Moon Lake, will be published on Amazon in a few weeks. I have begun work on my second book as well. I hope you will take time to register your email address so I may keep you apprised of announcements and special offers. I’d be thrilled to count you as one of my first dedicated readers.

Steve Brock’s latest novel is Half Moon Lake.

You can visit his website at www.BrockNovels.com or connect with him at Twitter.

Thanks for this interview, Steve.  Congratulations on your new book! Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

I’d say it was fairly smooth sailing. I’m an independent publisher and I’m told that in itself avoids a lot of headaches by not dealing with a major publishing company. I certainly learned a lot along the way, and not all of that experience came easy. For example, once I had finished my manuscript I sent it to a professional editor for proofing. It took a month to get the manuscript back fully corrected. The problem arose when I tried to import the corrected copy back into my book publishing software. Every time I tried, random characters would be inserted throughout the book. I had just paid to have the manuscript cleared of all typos and errors and my software import is sprinkling new ones back into it. The week it took for me to figure out what was happening was a stressful one. For the most part, however, it wasn’t too difficult.

When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

My wife and I are die-hard, devoted St. Louis Cardinal baseball fans. We rarely miss a game during the season. We spend most evenings watching the game together. We even do a little two-person ‘wave’ whenever the Cards score a run. We also try and get to St. Louis a couple of times a year to catch some games in person.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

My answer to that question may be surprising, so I’ll provide a bit of explanation first. I’m a very honest person. If my wife and I go out to dinner and I see the waitress forgot to put our soft drinks on the ticket, I bring it to her attention. With that being said, Amazon is averaging 450 new books per day and if I were to say there was something about my book that stood out from all the others wouldn’t be honest. I can tell you that I have been told by very experienced authors that I am a talented writer. My strengths lie in my characterization skills and how I paint a picture with words. So if you read my book, you can expect a well-written story that will keep you interested.

Can you give us the very first page of your book so that we can get a glimpse inside?

What would it be today? Indigo, purple, or maybe some shade of green? It was something he had grown to appreciate, even anticipate during the last few years. Depending on the season and the hour of the day, the color of the water in Half Moon Lake changed. Ripples on the surface glistened and danced in the sunlight as he approached from the east. Billowy cotton-ball clouds floated high against the evening sky. Pine trees, majestic and tall, surrounded the lake. They seemed to stretch to touch the belly of the plane.

            He lingered one last moment to admire the vista, but eventually keyed the mic.

“TC8750 to Half Moon Flight Service.”

The familiar voice of Rose Larson broke a few seconds of static. “This is Half Moon. Is that you, Crease Williams? I hope this is an obscene radio call.” No one ever accused Rose of ridged formality.

“I’m afraid it’s all business today, Rose. I’m here to pick up the floatplane to fly a load of supplies up to that group of fishermen at Roudy’s Cabin.”

            “Fishermen? Do you mean those four CEO types who were through here last week? I saw the list of supplies they ordered. I don’t know about the fishing, but it appears the beer drinking is going pretty well up there. The runway’s clear, Crease.”

            To call what serves to land small airplanes a runway was generous. A strip along the side of the lake a quarter mile long and maybe one hundred feet wide, it was a grass field dozed free of trees and rolled to flatten some humps. Crease coaxed his little Cessna to the north, taking a wide loop to a course parallel with the landing strip.

            Just as he was straightening his heading, pointing the nose toward the windsock that stood just past the end of the landing field, his life changed. At once there was deafening silence and a violent lurch downward. The engine had stopped, and he thought he must have dropped at least five hundred feet. A quick glance at the altimeter said no, but his testicles said yes.   

If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

It really doesn’t fit neatly into any holiday section, but if I have to choose I’d say New Year. The new year is when people try and make positive changes to their life by setting new year’s resolutions for themselves. There certainly is a message conveyed in the book about rethinking how you’ve been living your life and making changes for the better.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

When I created the main character of the book I always thought he would be a recurring character. I can see going back to Pine Valley for another novel.

When you were young, did you ever see writing as a career or full-time profession?

Yes, when I was young I wanted to be a journalist and writer. In fact, I prepared for that in high school with the courses I took. I intended to attend the Missouri University School of Journalism after I graduated. Life had other plans, however, and it has taken me until now, at age 61, to fulfill that dream.

What’s next for you?

I intend to keep writing. I have a couple of ideas that I’ve been working on but haven’t decided which one to pursue first. I’m interested in trying my hand at a different genre to try and find my “niche”. Some of that will depend upon how successful this first novel becomes.

 




Crease Williams lived a charmed life with a bright future. Only in his junior year at Texas Christian University, his skills as a wide receiver had already captured the attention of NFL scouts.

Then a tragedy cost him his family and his desire to play football. Personally devastated, he left his old life behind and got as far from Ft. Worth, TX, and football as he could get.

Keeping mostly to himself, he became a float-plane pilot in the far north of Minnesota. Flying fisherman and hunters into remote locations was how he spent his time. When a group he had flown to Roudy’s Cabin goes missing, he faces accusations and more turmoil than he could have ever imagined. To make matters worse, his quiet existence is upturned by an element from his past bent on vengeance.

Half Moon Lake is Steve Brock’s first novel. A suspenseful mystery written with likable characters and a lighthearted flavor.

Book Information

Release Date: March 30, 2022

Publisher:  Steve Brock

Soft Cover: ISBN: 978-0578391977; 187 pages; $9.99; Kindle Unlimited FREE

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3knaPfd

No comments:

Post a Comment