Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Q&A: Alison Neuman, Author of HOME

Alison Neuman is a writer, author, choreographer, and dance artist, who is passionate about sharing underrepresented voices. She holds a Bachelor’s of Applied Communications Degree, a diploma in Professional Writing, and a Master of Arts degree with a focus on Educational Studies.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

Website: www.alisonneuman.ca
Blog: http://www.alisonneuman.ca/blog/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Alison_Neuman
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/alisonneuman.ca
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4375290.Alison_Neuman

Thanks for this interview, Alison.  Congratulations on your new book! Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

Thank you for having me on your blog. The process of writing Home, the last installment of my Friends and Family Series, was challenging, and I wasn’t sure if the series would ever be finished after my mom passed away two years ago. Throughout my entire life, my mom was always there with me. Through all my hospitalizations and doctors' appointments, she was my sense of home. My family had a love for reading, and many a night when I was a small child and in and out of the hospital, my mom would read to me before I fell asleep. My mom always made time to read, and when I was older, we would silently read together.



As macular degeneration stole my mom's vision and made it challenging to read, I started reading out loud to her. While the activity was reversed, we could still share our love of reading. In the last few years, my mom had dementia, and we were her caregivers. I wanted to share my writing, my love and appreciation for all she had done. I started the first book in the series called Don't Eat Family, about a cat (Fluffy) who meets a mouse (Levi) experiencing a disability, and they become friends. My mom’s childhood pet inspired the cat, and the mouse is the literary character I wished I had to identify with when I was a child experiencing a disability. The follow-up book, Help From Friends, was about ability and adventures between friends. Home, explores the journey of memories and friendships as Fluffy brings her friend Levi and his family back to the safety of her family home. As I was writing this book and still grieving from losing my mom, it made me realize that wherever I was, my mom was always my home and I will always carry her with me.



Home is being launched before Mother’s Day because this book is my gift for her. I hope this book and the series will be shared with parents and their children and grow a love of reading.

If you were to pen your own autobiography, what might the title be?

Searching for My Life or Pushing Through would be some potential autobiography titles.

When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

When not writing, I love to spend time with my family and friends, read, dance, craft, bake, and be outside.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

My book stands out from the rest because there is a strong character that is experiencing a disability and not a negative plot point for the main character. All of the artwork in the book is comprised of paintings that were done with sketches, paints, and special paper, versus digitally on a computer.


If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

Home would go in the Mother’s Day section of the store because the series is for sharing with family.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

Home is part of the Friends and Family series.

When you were young, did you ever see writing as a career or full-time profession?

As a child, I loved books, but I never thought of a career as an author despite the fact I have written my entire life.


Did any of your books get rejected by publishers?

Yes, Ice Rose – A Young Adult Spy Novel and Searching For Normal: A Memoir were both rejected numerous times before finding their current publishers.

What is your view on co-authoring books; have you done any?

I would love to co-author a book and share the writing and publishing journey with another author. Being able to have an additional view and writing skillset to include in the creation of the manuscript would be beneficial. Not to mention, having a second person to work in tandem on book promotions would be fun.

What’s next for you?

My next project, which I have worked on for a few years, is my manuscript entitled Hindsight. It is about a young woman, Olivia, who is experiencing a disability and balancing University and work, grieving the loss of a parent, and searching for love. She begins researching a story for her university paper and discovers a secret that, when revealed, will threaten not only her life but also her family and love.


About HOME

Fluffy, the cat, knew the minute she met Levi that he would become fast friends with the friendly mouse using a special wheelchair. In the third installment of their adventures, join Fluffy, Levi, and his family on their final leg of adventure to find their forever homes together.

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2Va96Ox

Smashwords → https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1015552

No comments:

Post a Comment