Friday, April 3, 2020

Q&A: Kathleen Stone, Author of WHISPERS ON A STRING

Kathleen Stone has been a freelance writer since 1999 and now writes full time. Her work has appeared in Doll World Magazine, Apolloslyre.com, The Lake County Journals, Trails.com; USA Today (travel), Livestrong.com (lifestyle), Essortment, eHow, Answerbag, Examiner.com, Suite101 and YahooVoices. She is the author of Whispers On A String and the Head Case Rock Novel Series, which includes Head Case and its sequels, Whiplash and Haven. She also has short stories published in the Secrets: Fact or Fiction I & II anthologies.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

Website:  http://www.kathleenstone.org
Twitter:  www.twitter.com/kstonewriter
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/kathleenstonewriter

Thanks for this interview, Kathleen. Congratulations on your new book!  Would you say its been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

Thank you!  My journey started in 1995 when I spent countless hours writing and mailing query letters to agents and publishers for my first novel Head Case. It was a disheartening and disappointing time because all I ever received was rejections. I ended up self-publishing Head Case in 2002 and its sequel Whiplash in 2003 because I believed in them that much, but I never recouped the money spent to self-publish. Fast forward to 2016 and I’m ready to publish Haven, the third book in the Head Case series, and Amazon has their own publishing platform. I took that opportunity to retain the rights to Head Case and Whiplash and reissued them under the new platform in 2018. In 2017 I became a full time writer, and the freedom to write all day every day along with Amazon’s publishing platform, made it pretty smooth sailing for my new book, Whispers On A String.

If you were to pen your own autobiography, what might the title be?

Great question!  Even though I’ve never had the desire to write an autobiography (my life is far too boring), I have entertained the title quite often. When I was a child my mom used to sing a song to me that went, “Mares eat oats and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy… a kid’ll eat ivy too, wouldn’t you?”  But in my child’s mind I didn’t hear the words the way they were written. In my head I was hearing, “Mairzee dotes and dozee dotes and little lamzee divey… a kiddle dee divey doo, wouldn’t you?”  I know it sounds crazy, but my autobiography title would be Mairzee Dotes and Dozee Dotes!

When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

I love reading, traveling, photography, concerts, and laughing with my family and friends.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

Whispers On A String starts its first chapter with the title, 2011. It’s not written linearly, but goes back and forth from the present, 2011, to the past, and all the chapters are titled for the year the story takes place. I took a chance writing it this way, but it worked out beautifully and many readers have told me it’s the reason they couldn’t put the book down.

Can you give us the very first page of your book so so that we can get a glimpse inside?

2011

            It was the kind of headache you get when you've been out in the sun all day... the heat emanating off your skull and the dull throbbing of drums that causes your stomach to go all queasy. I could hear the buzzer for my apartment going off, then my phone started ringing. I could barely focus my eyes as I poked my head out from under the covers to see it was my friend Lonny trying to video chat with me. I wasn’t in the mood to talk to anyone, so I ignored it. Then the buzzing from outside and my phone ringing started all over again. I decided that whoever was buzzing my apartment could only be bad news, so I answered my phone instead.
            Hey Rooster,” Lonny said with his crooked toothed smile, his eyes hidden behind a pair of aviator sunglasses.
            Lonny,” I groaned, barely opening my eyes. “What time is it?”
            Seven o’clock.”
            I wanted to strangle him. He rarely woke up before nine in the morning… why was he calling me at seven?
            I could hear the buzzing to my apartment door continuing in the background and knew it was bad news. Everything was bad news lately.
            Come on Rooster, wake up. I have a surprise for you.”
            I opened one eye to look at Lonny smiling at me from my phone. “Oh yeah? What’s that?”
            I’m standing outside your door. Don’t you hear me buzzing to get in?”
            I jumped out of bed and grabbed my head, the throbbing so intense it was as if someone hit me with a hammer. I stumbled to the door and buzzed Lonny into the building, then began searching blindly for some clothes. I managed to throw on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt before he tapped on my apartment door.
            I opened the door to see my best friend standing in front of me, wondering how he managed to get to New York from California without telling me. I put on a smile and pulled him into my arms, hugging him as tightly as I could.


If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

Great question!  I would have to say the Fourth of July, because the two main characters, Lonny and Roo, share that day as their birthday, and this holiday has a lot of significance in the book.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

I would absolutely LOVE my book to be a series!  And it would have to be a series, as there is too much going on and a movie wouldn’t be able to capture the full essence of the story.

When you were young, did you ever see writing as a career or full-time profession?

I always wanted to be a writer, but I could never picture it as a reality. I was too fearful of putting my work out there, leaving me vulnerable, raw and naked. It wasn’t until I was in my early thirties that I took that first step toward publication, and as difficult as it was, I haven’t looked back and now work as a full time writer.  I wish I’d done it sooner!

Did any of your books get rejected by publishers?

My first book, Head Case, was rejected by anyone and everyone, and by some of the best in the business!  I eventually self-published and haven’t looked back. While it would be a dream come true to be published by a traditional publishing house, I like the freedom of self-publishing. I make my own deadlines, I don’t have to wait a year or two for a book to be released, and I remain in full control of my work. I’m not saying that couldn’t change in the future, however.

What is your view on co-authoring books; have you done any?

I’ve never co-authored a book before, but I was involved in two short story anthologies with a great group of talented writers — Secrets, Fact or Fiction I and II. I’m not opposed to co-authoring a book with the right person or people, as I think it would be a fun challenge!

What’s next for you?

I am currently writing the companion book to Whispers On A String. I say companion as opposed to sequel because while Whispers was written from the point of view of the female protagonist, the new book is being written from the point of view of the male protagonist. His book, however, is being written linearly, so there’s no going back and forth from the present to the past. I’m hoping to have it published later this year, but I also have three other novels in progress that need to be completed.
About WHISPERS ON A STRING

What happens when your soul is bound to another before you were ever born? Lonny and Roo have been best friends since they met in high school in 1975 at the age of fourteen. Same last name, same birthdate, they were attached at the hip; rarely was one seen without the other. Together they navigate through their emotional high school years, but nothing prepares the naive teenagers for the real world ahead of them. Now on the cusp of their fiftieth birthday, Lonny finds Roo broke and alone and convinces her to leave with him on a cross country road trip from New York to Las Vegas, hoping to set her on a new path in life. Told exclusively by Roo, follow the friends back and forth through their unique relationship — experience the loss of innocence, career and life choices that separate and unite them, and unspeakable events that nearly destroy them. It’s a love only they understand, as well as the unbreakable bond that forever ties them together. Is it possible they are only capable of loving each other?

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon → https://amzn.to/329vHMV

No comments:

Post a Comment