Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Book Review: Seed Starting by Tom Ford #bookreviews

Title: Seed Starting
Author: Tom Ford
Genre: Gardening
Publisher: Lightning Bolt Publishing
Pages: 65
Buying Page: Amazon

In years past, I prided myself on having the greenest thumb you ever saw.  I don't know what's happened to me but I can't seem to grow anything anymore.  Last year, I tried radishes.  I have always been able to grow radishes, but you see, that's part of the problem - location.  Where I live it's sandy soil. I mean really sandy soil so I planted seeds in a container on my back steps.  I watered them just like I was supposed to.  The soil was terrific, nothing was wrong.  But...they bolted.  I don't think I've ever had radishes bolt like that before.  I mean, every single one of them never became a radish but instead a long slender I don't think what in the heck you'd call it thing.  

When I saw Seed Starting by Tom Ford, it rejuvenated me into thinking maybe I could give it one more shot but I was hoping this book would remind me of things I had forgotten to do recently.  I don't want to give up gardening and I was hoping the book would help.

Indeed it did.  Right from the get go, I read, "It would be a good idea to get your soil tested."  I had completely forgotten about that.  While I had great soil or so I thought, it doesn't hurt to take a sample somewhere so they can tell you what you might need to add to your existing soil.

I really liked this book. If you are starting a garden by seed, it has tons of helpful hints to get you started from growing medium (soil) to wetting the seeds to give you a head start.  And I wasn't aware that you should start fertilizing your seedlings when they are only a couple inches tall.  I always thought that the soil had enough nutrients at first.

I really liked how the author took the months of the year and listed which vegetables to grow during those months.  That way, you can look ahead to see which seeds you might want to start.  And it also tells you how to store seeds for next year which I thought was pretty darn helpful.

Not a bad little book.  I give this 4 book trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment