Thursday, April 10, 2014

Book Review: Best Wok Recipes from Mama Li's Kitchen by Sarah Spencer #bookreviews

Title: Best Wok Recipes from Mama Li's Kitchen
Author: Sarah Spencer
Genre: Cooking
Publisher: Sarah Spencer
Pages:79

I had a wok years ago.  Barely into my twenties, I was loving this newfangled contraption where I could stir fry to my heart's delight.  The wok unfortunately ended up somewhere but in all the moves I've made in my life since then, it was history.  I never did get another although I have needed one.  Bad.  Some dishes just need a wok as opposed to a frying pan.  Only those who have used a wok before can fully relate to this.

I have very few cookbooks in my house.  I am not the cook that's for sure.  My daughter is and shows off with some of the best cuisine you would ever want to eat.  One thing I knew she had never tried was Asian food cooked in a wok and I was out to impress.  Best Wok Recipes From Mama Li's Kitchen was up for free in the Kindle store and I grabbed it.  I don't know how long it's going to be there absolutely free but if you're into Asian food cooked in a wok, this book is aimed to please.

The book starts out with explaining what kinds of woks there are and how to take care of them.  I remember when I first bought my wok years ago, the directions said to season them by rubbing oil on the inside after each use.  I think.  It's been years but just like anything you cook in, you want to take care of it.  Best Wok Recipes From Mama Li's Kitchen helped me remember what to do when I buy my second wok which is going to be pretty darn soon because the recipes in this book are out of this world and I can't wait to try them.  I can't eat beef so I shied away from those recipes but if you're okay with beef, you'll love the different recipes calling for it like Mongolian Beef and Beef with Rice Noodles and Vegetables.  Sounds yummy but my tummy can't take anything with beef.  However...my tummy can take just about anything else and I'm dying to try the Shrimp Stir Fry. I've been buying frozen and you know that doesn't come close to making it from scratch.

Not a bad little book and longer than a lot of cookbooks for free on Amazon lately, so for that and the content, I give this 4 1/2 stars.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment