Friday, April 28, 2017

Interview with Jacqui Letran, author of I Would, But My Damn Mind Won't Let Me!



Jacqui Letran is a passionate and energetic leader who is truly gifted at helping teens transform into confident, happy and successful young adults. Jacqui teaches teens that success and happiness are possible, regardless of their current struggles or circumstances.

Jacqui is an International Best Selling Author, National Speaker, and Founder of Teen Confidence Academy. She has 17 years of experience in Adolescent Health as a Nurse Practitioner, Success Coach and Teen Confidence Expert. Jacqui is passionate and committed to guiding teens to achieve remarkable success in their academic and personal lives.

She is also the winner of the:
2016 Literary Classics Lumen Award and Gold Medal for Youth Non-Fiction
2016 Readers' Favorite Gold Medal Award for Young Adult Non-Fiction

When not working with teens or writing, you can find her traveling in her RV, hiking with her dog or spoiling her three cats. She now lives in
Asheville, North Carolina.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK


About the Book:


Literary Classics' 2016 Lumen Award for Best Young-Adult Non-Fiction book of the year, "I would, but my DAMN MIND won't Let Me! is recommended for home, school and public
libraries and for use in clinical settings."


Do you believe that life is unfair or that change is impossible? Are you unhappy and frustrated with your life? If you answered yes, you’re not alone! Teen Confidence Expert, Jacqui Letran, is here to show you a quick and easy path to a happier, healthier life. You can learn to create permanent changes for the better!
Your past can cause you to believe that making positive improvements requires a miracle. In Letran’s award-winning book, I would, but my DAMN MIND won’t let me!, you will learn the simple steps to overcome your obstacles and struggles. Once you understand how your mind works, you will have the knowledge and power to take control of your thoughts and feelings. The power to challenge your old negative patterns and create the exact life you want is in your hands.
In this book, you will discover:
·             How to challenge old negative beliefs and create positive new patterns
·             How to stay calm and in control of even the most difficult situations
·             How to keep unhealthy thoughts at bay and replace them with positive ones
·             How to use the power of your mind to create the success you deserve
·             How to create positive life experiences and much, much more!
·              
I would, but my DAMN MIND won’t let me! is a groundbreaking guide to help you take control of your life. If you like real-life advice that works fast and doesn’t talk down to you, then you will love Jacqui Letran’s game-changing book for teens and young adults. This book is recommended for teens, parents of teens, professionals working with teens, and anyone who is interested in learning how to take control of their mind.
Get the award-winning book today to give yourself an unfair advantage in life!

I Would, But My Damn Mind Won’t Let Me!
is available for purchase at


Thanks for this interview, Jacqui. Can we begin by having you tell us about yourself from a writer’s standpoint?

I’m an author, speaker, and teen confidence expert.  I have 16 years of experience working with teens in both the medical setting as a Nurse Practitioner, and the holistic setting as a Teen Confidence Expert and Success Coach.  

I became an author two years ago not because I wanted to be an author, but because my clients kept asking me to write down what I’ve taught them. They loved what they were learning from me during their private sessions and wanted detailed notes to remind them.  After hearing the same request from many clients, I decided it was time to write my book.  
I was really surprised by how difficult the writing process was, and at the same time, how much fun it was.  I feel so blessed to be able to share my message and help so many people through my books.  

When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?  

I am a lover of animals and nature.  I spend a large part of my time spoiling my three cats with treats, cuddles, and playtime.  I also spend a large amount of time spoiling my American Eskimo with long hikes. He loves nature just as much as I do! As a family, we all love taking RV trips and exploring the beauty that surrounds us.

Congratulations on your new book! Can you give us the very first page of your book so that we can get a glimpse inside?

Why Can’t You Just Control Yourself?

How many times have you been told by well-meaning parents, adults, or even your friends that you should just stop thinking or feeling a certain way? They tell you that the problems you have are all in your head. They tell you to stop making a big deal out of things, that you’re too sensitive, and there is no reason to be nervous or anxious. And yet you are. You don’t know what to think or how to feel. You feel tense and nervous. Others seem to have it so easy. But for you, life is difficult and so unfair!

Your situation may seem hopeless, and perhaps you have even concluded that you were just “born that way,” and there is nothing you can do to change.

Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

My journey started slightly bumpy and ended up very smooth. When I decided to write my books, I sat down at my work desk and started typing. I wanted every sentence to be perfect so I would type, delete, rewrite, type, delete and rewrite again. After hours of hard work, I only had a few paragraphs to show for it.  
It was so frustrating.  I knew my topic very well and I can teach it in my sleep, yet, I couldn’t articulate it on paper.  I knew that if I continued this way, it would take years to complete my book, and that was not OK with me.  This was when I decided to write everything out by hand.  I would go to my local coffee shop or to the beach and write as if I was teaching to a client.  I wrote freely; no re-reading, and no editing.  I spent two to three hours writing each day, and within seven weeks, I had the first draft done. It took several days for me to type up everything and then the first round of editing began.
I self-published my book approximately ten weeks after I started the writing process. It hit #1 in several categories and several countries on launch day, and has consistently stayed within the top 20 books in those categories for the past two years.  

If you had to summarize your book in one sentence, what would that be?

You have the power to create the life you want by learning how to control your thoughts, feelings, and actions.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

My book is written in a very straight-forward, easy to understand way that talks to the readers -- not at them.  I love taking a complex idea and breaking it down to make it simple.  Because of this, I have won 2 Gold Medals in the Youth Non-Fiction category as well as the Literary Classics’ Lumen Award for Best Youth Non-Fiction Book of 2016.

If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

I would have to put my book in the Fourth of July section. Since the quality of your thoughts become the quality of your experiences, being able to change your thoughts into empowering ones will change everything in your life. This book helps you to understand how your mind works and how to be the boss of your mind so you can create the life you want and deserve.  Once you learn how to control your thoughts, you gain your freedom (Independance Day!) to create and live the life you want!

Although not a holiday, I would also love to see this book in the Birthday section. This is definitely one of the “must have” instructional manuals for the mind that each human should receive upon their birth.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done? 

This book is actually the second book in a series called, “Words of Wisdom for Teens”.  The first book of the series is called, “5 Simple Questions to Reclaim Your Happiness!” This book help readers to use 5 simple questions to understand their feelings and letting them go so they can move forward and create or enhance amazing relationships.

What’s next for you?

Currently I am writing the second edition to, “5 Simple Questions to Reclaim Your Happiness!” to incorporate my readers suggestions and requests. When I’m done, this book will be a 3-part book with part 1 being an overview of the 5 Simple Questions. Part 2 will be case studies to demonstrate how to put the 5 Simple Questions to work. Part 3 will be workbook style to help readers resolve their own conflicts using the 5 Simple Questions.  

In addition, I am also working on the third book of the series called, “How to Unleash Your Inner Super Powers and Destroy Anxieties and Self-Doubts!”  I’m working toward a late August release, just in time for teens to go back to school with increased confidence having learned how to unleash their own Inner Super Powers.

No comments:

Post a Comment