Friday, October 21, 2016

In The Spotlight: Rejoicing Through The Tears by Brenda George



Inside the Book




Title: Rejoicing Through The Tears
Author: Brenda George
Publisher: WestBow Press
Pages: 240
Genre: Inspirational


Have you or someone you know been diagnosed with cancer? Rejoicing through the Tears has been written with you in mind. You can learn not only to survive, but to thrive. You can come through your wilderness journey of cancer and let God turn your mourning into dancing. No matter what challenges you may be facing, you can learn to embrace the hand of a loving God. He will walk with you whether you are up on the mountaintop or down in the valley; you will learn to rejoice wherever you are, because what you are rejoicing with is heartfelt joy from deep within. Your faith will be ignited, and you will be encouraged. You will learn to live each day with passion and enthusiasm. Let the God who flung the stars into space walk into your storm, refresh your soul, and bring you streams in the desert.


Book Excerpt:


Chapter Five

The Diagnosis

After we returned home from Mackinac Island, I reluctantly made an appointment for the biopsy. I still did not think there was anything to be concerned about, because I felt too good. Sick people were the ones who had something wrong, I thought. I went to the hospital bright and early the next Monday morning, following my return home from vacation for a fine-needle biopsy in my neck. I was dragging my feet all the way to the hospital. I just couldn’t stand to hear any more bad news. As I was lying flat on my back on the table, the tears rolled down both sides of my face and dripped onto the examination table. I couldn’t explain it, but somewhere deep down inside, I sensed the worst. The doctor doing the biopsy told me that thyroid nodules are fairly common. Ninety-five percent of them are benign, leaving only five percent as malignant. That was reassuring to hear. While your medical history, examination by a physician, lab tests, and ultrasound are important, the only test that can distinguish whether thyroid nodules are benign or malignant is through a fine-needle biopsy. After numbing the area, the doctor sticks a very fine needle into the nodules to remove cells for microscopic examination, which are sent to pathology. A bandage is put on your neck, and you are sent home. The biopsy wasn’t too painful, but I would describe it as uncomfortable. Every day of the rest of that week seemed to be an eternity as I waited for that phone call with the biopsy results. Finally, the nurse called three days later. She hesitated for a few minutes on the other end of the line before she reluctantly said that it was urgent that I make an appointment as soon as possible. What more can I say except that it was a long weekend! Monday finally rolled around. I was in a daze as I walked into the doctor’s office early that morning. The doctor sat down in his chair and looked me straight in the eye with apprehension. If I didn’t know better, I would have sworn I saw a single tear in his eye when he gave me the news that I was dreading to hear with all my heart—that I had papillary thyroid cancer—but my eyes were so welled up with tears, I wasn’t sure, I was not prepared to hear those heart-wrenching words that would pierce my heart forever. They cut like a knife. It was the worst shock of my life, and I was completely numb inside. The true meaning of those words hadn’t sunk in yet. They were just too final. I came out of the doctor’s office and into the waiting room where my mom was waiting for me. I tried to smile, but it was forced. I wanted to act like everything was normal for as long as I could and put off telling her the news that had just turned my own world upside down. As we walked out of the hospital, my legs felt like lead. Each step became more impossible. Finally, when I fell into my car that was it. There was no holding back. I completely broke down. The tears started and went on for at least a week, almost nonstop. I remember eating my bowl of cereal that next morning before work and crying the entire time. I didn’t know my body was capable of producing so many tears. Finally, there were no more tears left to cry. But I still felt completely hopeless. Papillary thyroid cancer is a very treatable kind of cancer. The prognosis is usually good if it is caught in time, which it usually is, and receives the proper treatment. There are many more cases being diagnosed each year, mainly because technology is now so much more advanced. If mine hadn’t been diagnosed when it was, it would have probably become terminal. I was thankful that the outlook was encouraging, but I didn’t like hearing anyone pass it off as the good cancer. There is no good cancer. Cancer can kill. It may be slow, depending on what type it is and the stage it’s in, but left untreated, death is almost inevitable. The C word is one that nobody ever wants to hear. That very word meant death to me. If I was fortunate enough to survive, my life would be forever changed and would require lifelong monitoring.



Praise for Rejoicing Through The Tears:

By HCTexas on October 5, 2014

In her book, Rejoicing through the Tears: Embracing God's Hand in Cancer, Brenda George shares not only the story of her journey through surviving Thyroid cancer but also some practical information that could be very helpful for anyone faced with a cancer diagnosis. We know that God does not heal everyone as He did Brenda but what she shares in this book will give everyone the opportunity to know there is hope and there will be victory if you put your faith and strength in our Lord, Jesus.

Though at first glance this cover may look a bit whimsical (take a closer look) the content is anything but. I highly recommend this book to everyone. Everyone knows someone that has been affected by the diagnosis of cancer; if not you then a family member, friend or friend of a friend. Please read this book it can only help.

For More Information

 

Meet the Author

brenda-george


Brenda George is the author of "Rejoicing Through The Tears: Embracing God's Hand In Cancer." She is a thyroid cancer survivor and a speaker for The American Cancer Society as a “Voice of Hope.” She has also spoken at other events, including Aglow International. She is passionate about raising awareness and reaching out to others to inspire people from all walks of life to never give up hope! She is enthusiastic about life and teaches others that they can not only survive, but thrive. Whatever challenges, they may be facing, they will learn to embrace the hand of a loving God - He will turn their mourning into dancing. Brenda resides in Marysville, Ohio, with her husband, Mark and their adorable Old English Sheepdog, named Maggie. She is the mother of three grown children and grandmother to seven.

Connect with Brenda on Author WebsiteAuthor BlogFacebookFacebook Book PageTwitter, and Goodreads.





No comments:

Post a Comment