Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Book Watch: Interviw with Ms. Johnnie Renee, author of 'Living In My Father's Dream: Weep Me Not




Ms. Johnnie Renee is a first time author. She is the mother of an at-risk adult child, so she is accustomed to street life, visions, and dreams. Inspired by the eyes of a dead rapper, Ms. Johnnie Renee hopes that by writing this book (though it depicts street life) that a child's mind can be freed from violence, and drugs.

Her latest book is Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not.

For More Information
  • Visit Johnnie Renee’s website.
  • Connect with the author on Twitter.
About the Book:

Title: Living In My Father’s Dream: Weep Me Not
Author: Ms. Johnnie Renee
Publisher: JR Perez Imprint
Pages: 426
Genre: Urban Fiction

A powerful love story, not between a man and a woman, but a real father and his Mafia-bred son ANTONIO "SHAWN" PEREZ, JR. The only grandson of a Mafia drug lord, Shawn wanted to become a drug dealer at the age of twelve, but his dad said no. Just to teach Shawn that drugs are a killer, his dad made him sit in a country chair and watch him OD. Twenty-one years later, and still mentally screwed, all Shawn wants now is to be free from the memories of his dad's death, and for his grandfather to stay out of his life. Little did Shawn know, that the day he sat in that chair, his grandfather saw his strengths to watch his dad die, and wanted him as a one-time hitman for the family. Now, in order to be free, he must complete the job assigned to him by his grandfather. His job: To kill the baddest drug dealer in the hood. 
Living In My Father's Dream is available at Amazon.

Thanks for this interview, Ms. Renee.  When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

I would have to say, I’m not like most writers, or I should say, I have not reached that point in life that allows for relaxation/fun. Right now, I’m obsessed with writing. I wake up in the morning and turn my computer on. I research all day or write all day. By five a.m., I’m tired. I rest about five, maybe six hours, depending on how tired I am. This is my only relaxation/fun, my six hours of rest. I just have too much to do. I have other stories waiting to be written and to be published. So, I really hate being away from my writings.

Congratulations on your new book! Can you give us the very first page of your book so that we can get a glimpse inside?
CHAPTER 1

SHAWN RETURNS HOME FROM HIS LAST TOUR OF DUTY


Commanding Officer Antonio “Shawn” Perez, Jr. remained calm while the Navy medically discharged him. With all the money his grandfather had, he didn’t care. He walked out of headquarters. He then stilled in disbelief. As the back door of the cab opened, bitterness seeped into his soul. His uncle Donny Perez, a family member he despised, stepped out of the cab. Donny walked up to him with two letters of unknown relevance in his hand.
Naples is beautiful, isn’t it?” Donny said. “My great-grandmother was born here.”
Shawn didn’t look away from the deceit hidden in Donny’s hazel eyes. He searched them for just cause, until he spoke again.
“The family misses you, nephew. It will be nice having you home again.”
Shawn glanced at the idling cab, and then back at Donny. “You came all the way to Italy in a cab just to tell me that?” Shawn refused to adjust his frown causing Donny to view the grounds.


Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

It was most definitely a rocky road. I learned a lot. I went through a lot. However, I didn’t go it alone. I traveled with editors that gave me advice, agents that gave me insights, news feeds that gave me knowledge, writing clubs that gave me support, etc. etc. etc. In addition, I read a lot of road signs along the way. Then one day, I came to a stop in the middle of the road, and I decided that nothing else mattered, and that the goal was becoming a published author. Anything more at that point would have been considered procrastinating, so I sent my book off to the printer. Now, I’m back on rocky roads again, this time trying to figure out how to market the book. .

If you had to summarize your book in one sentence, what would that be?

A powerful love story, not between a man and his woman, but a real father and his Mafia-bred son.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

It’s mission driven. I’m determined to help make a difference in an at-risk youth’s life, and ease the pain in a mother’s heart. Ten percent of all sales will go to organizations that can make a difference in a child’s life.

If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

I would say Martin Luther King’s holiday. The theme in the book is to help at-risk youth realize that they’re free to make choices in life, choices that will make them successful.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

It is very much a possibility, as I am interested in knowing who kill Richard Douglass “Doug” Jackson”. I wrote the scene but I have no idea who killed Richard. I guess I would have to put it all together in a second book, and figure it all out. Well, that why they call it fiction. Maybe the story will tell on the story. I hope that makes sense.

What’s next for you?

Promise Me A story about a homeless woman (me) finding God, and the truth behind the love between her and her husband of two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment