Monday, August 1, 2016

A Bookish Conversation with Children's Book Author Davin Whitehurst



Davin Whitehurst lives in the beautiful high desert of Southern Arizona with his wife and son. He is releasing his first book "I have Faith" in May of 2016 but has so many more that are in the making. The motivation behind the books are deeply rooted from in his own past. He is a living testimony of Proverbs 22:6. Growing up in Southwest Kansas and in a Christian household, he was trained up in the way he should go. By the time he became a teenager, Davin turned away from God and left church. Fast forward into his late twenties and God brought him back with a powerful calling. He and his family have been faithfully serving at Seed of Abraham Christian Center International for over seven years now. Proof that when we teach our children the way they should go. When they get older, they know where to turn and will not depart from God. Davin wants each book written to be a resource that parents have to help train their children in the way they should go. He writes stories in a simple way that will be fun and practical for every child. He wants children to get excited about faith and the things of God.

His latest release is the children’s book, I Have Faith.

For More Information
About the Book:

Title: I Have Faith
Author: Davin Whitehurst
Publisher: Childlike Faith Publishing
Pages: 26
Genre:  Children
Are you ready to get your child excited about faith? “I Have Faith” puts your child right in the footsteps of Danny as he begins to learn about faith. Danny and his older brother have been wanting a dog, but both know their parents don’t think they are ready for a dog. When Danny’s mom begins teaching him what the bible says about faith, he puts his faith into action. After praying and releasing his faith for a dog, doubt and even his best friend keep telling him that he will never get a dog. Over time Danny never loses his faith in the promises of God and finds that God is faithful and that faith works. Come along on this journey that is a real life event that took place in the author’s life as a child.
This book has great illustrations that support a wonderful story about finding faith in God. As you are teaching your child about principals in the bible; this book will help you teach faith. What a wonderful experience it is when we can see our children begin to develop their faith in God, and grow from a tiny mustard seed to a firmly planted tree. The back of the book has a parent/child discussion which will help children gain understanding in faith and some scriptures that Danny’s mom used to get him excited about faith.

For More Information


Thanks for this interview, Davin.  Can we begin by having you tell us about yourself from a writer’s standpoint?

I live in Arizona with my wife and son. I have always been a creative and artistic person but over the past couple of years started writing. I have been in the entertainment industry with music and recording for about the last twenty years and now moving into the publishing realm. I love children and their imaginations. I find it fascinating to see children figuring things out and seeing how the world works. This love for children along with the ideas that God has given me for children’s books, have brought me where I am now. I just published I Have Faith and have so much more to come.

When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

I spend a lot of time with my family. We like to spend time outdoors and going hiking in the high desert mountains of Southern Arizona. Reading and making music is another couple things that I like to do in my free time. Music has always been a big part of my life and love to be in the recording studio.

Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

The journey has been pretty smooth for the most part. There have been some times where I have had to reevaluate what needed to be done but overall the process has been amazing. I would say the hardest part was finally deciding to get I Have Faith done.

The ideas and concepts for books began almost eight years ago now. I always wrote these ideas down but never finished any of them. About two years ago I decided to get the first one finished and published. Within the first couple of months of looking for an illustrator, one of my coworkers showed me a painting his wife had finished. I looked at it and said that’s what I see in the illustrations for this book. Once the illustrations were started I started looking into publishers. After running into issues with publishers and vanity press companies, I decided on self publishing. By the time I got the book finished and published, the process seemed effortless. This was an amazing project to get accomplished.

If you had to summarize your book in one sentence, what would that be?

An inspiring story that teaches children to take hold of their faith and use it to bring the will of God to life in their lives.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

This book allows parents to get involved in building up their children’s faith. It’s not just a story that children will love but Danny teaches children where faith comes from and that God’s promises always come to pass when we activate our faith in Him. Learning how to take hold of faith at a young age is a foundational element for the Christian walk and I Have Faith will help children start that foundation.

If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

Christmas, as the birth of Christ brought faith to life for all mankind. Without Jesus coming to earth faith would be about the savior coming, but since He came, our faith is in Jesus now. It’s a great story as to one of the reasons He came to earth, Faith.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

I would like to turn this book into a series in a sense. I have multiple stories that are all different but the characters will appear in other books so it gives a sense of familiarity throughout the books. Each one will teach on a different biblical principle.

What’s next for you?

I have more books that I am in the process of getting published. My next book is a book out of Genesis chapter one. It will be an educational book for ages two-five and tell the story of how God created the world around us.
I am in the process of writing my first young adult novel also and should be completed sometime in 2017. With that I just started Childlike Faith Publishing this year and looking to build up a great lineup of authors and books.
God has been so good to me and looking forward to getting many more children’s books published over the next couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment