Friday, February 26, 2016

Interview with 'The Emerging Sensitive' Maria Hill






Maria Hill is the founder of HSP Health and Sensitive Evolution. She is a lifelong explorer of the sensitive experience and the challenges of bridging the difference between sensitive and non-sensitive people. Her interest in wisdom traditions, and new developments in the understanding of patterns of human behavior and living provides a unique perspective about the value of the sensitive trait and the needs of highly sensitive people.


For More Information

Thanks for this interview, Maria.  Can we begin by having you tell us about yourself from a writer’s standpoint?

I am a nonfiction writer although I have a special place in my heart for fiction. I have a website, Sensitive Evolution, which is dedicated to the self development of sensitive people. It has a large blog, library, books, courses, app etc. Most of my recent writing is for the website. The book, which is my first published work,  emerged from my surveys and coaching calls with sensitive people as well as my own interest in evolutional psychology and the huge transition the human race is going through to make the world a better place.

I have taken a number of creative writing courses and love fiction writing because it allows me to be so creative. Creativity is one of my strengths.

When not writing, what do you like to do for relaxation and/or fun?

Like most sensitive people, being in nature is the most relaxing and healing activity for me. I am also an artist and love to paint abstract shapes. I also love animals.

Do you have a day job? Or a night one?

My day job is the development of the Sensitive Evolution website and its programs for sensitive people.

Would you say it’s been a rocky road for you in regards to getting your book written and published or pretty much smooth sailing?  Can you tell us about your journey?

I think it was pretty smooth sailing for writing a book. I was able to see it through once I started it and although it was a lot of work as all books are, I felt that the process once started flowed well. However, a lot of the material has been simmering in my mind for a long time. If that had not been the case, I imagine that writing the book would have been a lot more difficult.

What is it about the self-help genre that appeals more than any other genre you would choose to write?

I love the idea of helping other people find inner peace. I am a thinker; I find that my insights help people feel better about themselves and I like to do that. People are taught to feel bad about themselves too much so whatever I can do to reverse that brings me joy.

If you had to summarize your book in one sentence, what would that be?

The Emerging Sensitive provides a sensitive person with a unique perspective about their nature and challenges in living in an aggressive world as well as tools and a road map for creating a more fulfilling life for themselves.

What makes your book stand out from the rest?

Most books for highly sensitive people discuss the characteristics of sensitivity and strategies for handling overwhelm. The Emerging Sensitive discusses the trait from an historic and cultural perspective, examines frameworks that explain the challenge sensitive people have with capitalism and other cultural systems and illuminates where new opportunities for sensitive people are emerging. It is a very different book about sensitivity that embraces the visionary qualities of a sensitive person and shows where they can be of service now.

If your book was put in the holiday section of the store, what holiday would that be and why?

July 4th. The Emerging Sensitive gives sensitive people inner freedom by helping them feel more comfortable with themselves, their challenges and their ability to have a satisfying life.

Would you consider turning your book into a series or has that already been done?

I am planning on writing more books about sensitivity but I do not know if they would fit the definition of a series like the Harry Potter books.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Grappling with problems and things I do not understand has provided me with food for thought my whole life and now supplies me with endless topics for writing.

What’s next for you?

I have developed some courses that go with the Emerging Sensitive Book and I plan on doing more writing for my website and have several new books on sensitivity that I would like to write.

About the Book:

Title: The Emerging Sensitive: A Guide For Finding Your Place In The World
Author: Maria Hill
Publisher: BookBaby
Pages: 150
Genre: Self-Improvement

Having only been given a name for their unique nature a few decades ago, highly sensitive people, or HSPs, are finally able to identify their traits and connect with one another in new and beneficial ways. In her book, The Emerging Sensitive: A Guide For Finding Your Place In The World, Maria Hill illuminates the path to self exploration and discovery for HSPs. Drawing on work of HSP expert Dr. Elaine Aron’s “DOES” model, Hill paints a vivid picture of the world as seen through the eyes of a highly sensitive person. She traces the roots of HSPs back to the earliest civilizations by following the evolutional framework of Spiral Dynamics as laid out by Don Beck and Chris Cowan. In doing so, she reveals the shifting roles of highly sensitive people in societies throughout the ages and exploring what the future holds as the culture shifts to a more HSP-friendly stage. Along the journey, Hill provides key insights and tools like the Whole Self framework of Bill Plotkin for highly sensitive people to take control of their lives and embrace their sensitive natures. With the guidance and resources contained within this book, HSPs can begin to discover and nurture their true potential.
                                      
Praise for The Emerging Sensitive:

“The Emerging Sensitive is an essential resource in supporting highly sensitive people in showing up in relevant ways, and not at a cost to them. The culture we live in has created many challenges to sensitivity and those who are more highly sensitive. Connection has created pain and therefore avoidance for many highly sensitive people. The cost to being present has been the sensitive self. But, it is changing. It needs to change further. I believe our culture will change the more highly sensitive people can join in and offer themselves genuinely, without compromise. I believe strongly in changing the way we all use sensitivity, and this book is a solid contribution to that effort. It is full of great resources to help a spectrum of highly sensitive people in finding their place and bring their gifts to light.”

--Ane Axford, Sensitive Leadership

For More Information

  • The Emerging Sensitive: A Guide For Finding Your Place In The World is available at Amazon.
  • Pick up your copy at Barnes & Noble.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment