Friday, December 5, 2014

Book Review: Welcome to Nursing HELLo by Joel Craig

Title: Welcome to Nursing HELLo: A Graphic Memoir
Author: Joel Craig
Publisher: Joel Craig
Pages: 190
Genre: Graphic Memoir/Nonfiction
Format: Paperback

A MUST HAVE FOR ANY NURSING STUDENT! 

This nurse is not out to save the world. He’s too busy dodging bed pans and urine containers. 

What happens when all the jobs for movie star have been filled. The next best thing is to become a registered nurse and that is exactly what Joel Craig did. Here is Joel’s journey through the pitfalls, quicksand, and joy(s) of his profession told in a graphic memoir format. The book begins in the year 2007 with Joel’s story unfolding in chronological order.

Such topics are discussed: dirty needle sticks, intimidating preceptors, job stress, and cursing on the job. Joel has imaginary conversations with rockstar Madonna, who is preparing to play Nurse Ratched on Broadway, who gives him advice along the way. Nursing students and new nurses can learn from Joel’s mistakes and what NOT to do as well as what to do. But they will get a little peek into what it’s like being a new nurse. This is almost like a small shock absorber to make the transition to new nurse not so bumpy.  Also actors, writers and any creative person who appreciate the struggles of an artist in a world where art and commerce are seldom friends, will appreciate this book.

Review:



“Some people just know they want to be a nurse.  I’m not one of those people.”
Joel Craig’s new book, Welcome to Nursing Hello, had me in stitches.  Oh how I remember those days back when I was looking for a job that actually paid enough to live off of.  I started my own journey to become a nurse by attending college classes but chemistry got me.  Never could understand it and dropped out.  I got an A in English and I should have known nursing and me wasn’t going to work, but writing and publishing books was certainly easier believe that or not.
Joel begins his own journey as a nurse not because he wanted to be one, either.  He wanted to be an actor, but as we all do, he needed money and soon.  Welcome to Nursing Hello is Joel’s journey and because my daughter ended up pursing her career as a registered nurse because she felt the calling, the terminology Joel used regarding the nursing field I was familiar with which helped me relate to his escapades in the first years of his nursing career.
Joel explains there were a lot of mistakes in those first years and his wonderfully drawn graphics included in the book helps you to visualize which I really loved. 
He takes you on his journey leading up to why he even chose nursing in the first place.  Joel is the typical man on the street just trying to get by.  Just trying to pay bills legally.  My goodness I know I have mentioned this before but I love these illustrations which tell the story.  Must be the old comic book junkie in me – it adds does not detract from Joel’s story.
Joel is straight up – he’ll tell you he went into nursing for the money and this only leads to funny situations once he became one.
I loved Welcome to Nursing Hello and would recommend it to anyone who goes into nursing for the money. ;o)
Welcome to Nursing HELLo by Joel Craig is available at Amazon.
 My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment