Friday, June 20, 2014

Book Review: 101 Conversation Starters for Families SAMPLER by Gary Chapman #bookreviews

Title: 101 Conversation Starters for Families SAMPLER
Author: Gary Chapman
Genre: Nonfiction
Publisher: Northfield Publishing
Pages: 112

What a fun little book.  I take it this is a sampler from the larger version which according to the front matter of the book, the larger version was published in April 2012.  You know, I like it when authors do this.  This book is a sample to whet your appetite for more.

What's really weird though is that it says it's 112 pages and yet there are only 10 conversation starters listed and the conversation starters are only about one sentence long.  No way can this be a 112 page book.

Hm.

So I did some digging to find the longer version thinking that that 112 pages might be intended for that one and they goofed.  

Well unless I'm blind as a bat, I don't even see a longer version at Amazon.  Just a couple more "Conversation Starters" books that I'm presuming has even more conversation starters for families.  Oh wait, one is for couples and then the second one is another one for couples.

Oh well.  I like the concept of this.  Anything to help families start talking instead of texting and ignoring good quality family time.  And I like the concept of publishing "sampler" books (this is from a promotional standpoint).  As for the book itself, it's hardly a book but more of a pamphlet of sorts in terms of content, but going over the different conversation starters, I liked it.  Can't say it's a book I fell madly in love with of course, but for the content it does have, it's not half bad.  Just short. Real short.

The author gets an A for effort and the content (what there is of it) isn't bad and really gives you great conversation starters like for example, "Name one talent you wish you had."

Now if I were sitting at the dinner table with my daughter and son and I asked them both, "Name one talent you wish you had," they'd either get silly with it or roll their eyes.  I guess eye rolling can be a talent if done right.

Not sure how to rate this one. Again it's not bad, just really really short.  For this I'm going to have to give it 3 book trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment